State Career Development Conference
State Career Development Conference
March 8-16, 2021
Because it will not be safe for groups to gather for some time, the Advisors Council has decided to hold the State Conference in a virtual format during March 8-16, 2021.
More information will be posted soon, but we have tentatively planned:
- We will use the same platform used for District Conference Competition, both for role-play and written events.
- Officer Elections will take place that week.
- We will be planning a series of interactive activities for the members to participate in:
- On-Demand Keynote Speakers that will be presenting TED Talk style of presentations
- Afternoon games like Kahoot! and DECA bingo
- Interactive sessions with State Officers
- And more!
The tentative dates are:
- January 29 – State Officer Candidate Applications are due
- February 4 – State Officer Candidate Examinations
- February 6 – State Officer Candidate Screening (via Zoom)
- February 11 – Registration Deadline
- February 11 – Written Event Upload Deadline (all written events except for Chapter Awards Program)
- February 17-19 -or- 22-24 Online Testing (chapters will choose either block)
- March 2 – State Officer Candidate Briefing Meeting (via Zoom)
- March 8 – Opening Session
- March 9 – Series Event Competition
- March 10 – Series and Principles Event Competition
- March 10 – State Officer Candidate Election Session
- March 11 – Team Decision Making Event Competition
- March 11 – State Officer Candidate Voting
- March 12 – Written Event Competition
- March 16 or 17 – Awards Presentation
Cancellations must be submitted through the Conference Registration Portal or on the Refund Request Form to receive your chapter’s refund. Depending on the date submitted, there might be only a partial refund available. Check with your advisor.
Cancellation and Substitution Policy
Please review the full Cancellation and Substitution policy; students will not be able to compete if one member of the team is unable for any reason to attend the next level of competition.
State Conference T-Shirts
All paid participants of the State Conference will receive a State Conference T-Shirt. Shirts will be shipped to the chapter advisor.
Delegate Code of Conduct Forms
Each delegate, student and adult, must sign the Delegate Code of Conduct Form. This form must be hand-carried to the conference by the Chapter Advisor. Do not send them to the Michigan DECA office.
At the Conference
Dress During the Conference
Business attire is required for all scheduled sessions and activities.
Those wishing to run for office will need to successfully pass through the Candidate Screening. The virtual screening is scheduled for Saturday, February 6, 2021. The online application must be received by January 29, 2021. Complete information on the candidate nominating and election process is available on the Running for State Office page for more details.
State Officer Election: Election activities for the 2021-22 Executive Council:
- Each chapter must pre-select and register their Voting Delegates when they submit their Conference Registration.
- State Officer Candidates will be announced during the Opening Session.
- State Officer Candidates will give their speeches during a Campaign Session on Wednesday, March 10, 2021.
- Voting Delegates will vote electronically on Thursday, March 11, 2021. Voting information will be sent at a later date.
- Election results will be announced during the Awards Session.
The role of a voting delegate is an important one. Voting delegates are required to attend the candidate speeches and are encouraged to meet each candidate prior to the election session. Notice: All Voting Delegates must be registered for the conference.
Number of Voting Delegates per Chapter Membership
According to the Constitution, each chapter is allowed one voting delegate per 40 members or a major fraction thereof. See the table below for the number of voting delegates based on chapter size.
- 1 voting delegate for chapters that have 1 to 61 members
- 2 voting delegates for chapters that have 62 to 101 members
- 3 voting delegates for chapters that have 102 to 141 members
- 4 voting delegates for chapters that have 142 to 181 members
- 5 voting delegates for chapters that have 182 to 221 members
- 6 voting delegates for chapters that have 222 to 261 members
- 7 voting delegates for chapters that have 262 to 301 members
- 8 voting delegates for chapters that have 302 to 341 members
Certificates of Excellence
Michigan DECA will issue Certificates of Excellence to all competitors that score above 70 on each aspect of competition. The certificates will be mailed to chapter advisors after the conference.
To have a successful conference, all adults will need to assist with the conference. Advisors will be pre-assigned by members of the Advisor’s Council to work a competitive event. All individuals are required to assist during their assigned time. Because this assistance is important, advisors who do not assist during their entire assigned time, will have letters stressing the importance of their assistance and their absence sent to their school principal.
If a judge will also be serving as a chaperone for the chapter’s proper adult-to-student ratio as described above, then chapter must pay for the judge’s conference registration fee. There is no charge for judges if your chapter has reached the proper adult-to-student ratio, as described above. Registration materials and meal tickets will only be provided to Adults that pay the conference registration fee.
Planning Ahead? Future conference dates:
- March 10-12, 2022 in Detroit, Michigan
- March 9-11, 2023 in Detroit, Michigan