To be eligible to compete in Michigan DECA’s competitive events program, the student must be a member of Michigan DECA and enrolled in or a completer of a marketing education program. All students must be a submitted for membership in the DECA Membership portal before being registered for any conference.
Tie Breaking Procedures
- At all conferences, All decisions of the judges are final. Michigan DECA will not re-evaluate the judges’ decisions. Michigan DECA will investigate, and if necessary correct any tabulation errors.
- In the event that there is a tie between overall finalists at the State Conference in an event with an exam, the exam score will be used to break the tie, followed by the participatory event score for the event labeled “1”, then followed by the participatory event score for the event labeled “2”.
- In the event that there is a tie between overall finalists at the State Conference in an event without an comprehensive exam, the tie will be broken by the score for the interview, then the judges’ overall impression, followed by the categories worth the most points.
Please note that there are usually several excellent projects and competitors. The difference between first and second place could be as little as one point. All decisions of the judges are final.
Banned Items During Competition
The following may not be used or worn during competition, which includes during online testing, prep-time, waiting for judges, and during competition for role-play events: (Note, these items may be used during a written event presentation, if it is applicable to the presentation.)
- Cell phones/smartphones
- AirPods/wireless or wired earbuds
- Programmable calculators/Graphing calculators
Note: during online testing, you may not use a second computer/tablet/iPad, textbook, or notes. You may use a blank piece of paper for any calculations which will be turned in after testing to the Proctor, and a basic calculator.