To be eligible to compete in Michigan DECA’s competitive events program, the student must be a paid member of Michigan DECA and enrolled in or a completer of a marketing education program.
Tie Breaking Procedures
- At all conferences, All decisions of the judges are final. Michigan DECA will not re-evaluate the judges’ decisions. Michigan DECA will investigate, and if necessary correct any tabulation errors.
- In the event that there is a tie between overall finalists at the State Conference in an event with an exam, the exam score will be used to break the tie, followed by the participatory event score for the event labeled “1”, then followed by the participatory event score for the event labeled “2”.
- In the event that there is a tie between overall finalists at the State Conference in an event without an comprehensive exam, the tie will be broken by the score for the interview, then the judges’ overall impression, followed by the categories worth the most points.
Please note that there are usually several excellent projects and competitors. The difference between first and second place could be as little as one point. All decisions of the judges are final.
District Conference competitors
State Conference competitors
1. The number of SCDC qualifiers from each district will be determined annually based on the number of paid memberships by November 30, as a percentage of the total state-wide DECA membership. Each district will be guaranteed a minimum of four (4) participants and a maximum of ten (10) participants per individual event at the State Career Development Conference. There will be 68 participants for each individual event, and 50 for each Team Decision Making Event at the SCDC.
2. If there is an extra slot(s) due to rounding, it will be given to the smallest district(s).
3. If an event at a District Conference has less students competing than the number of qualifiers allocated for the state conference for that district, then the number of qualifiers will be reduced to half of the allocation. This is done because each student competing at the State Conference must earn their way there by placing at their District Conference.
4. Competitors in the Individual Series, Principles, Team Decision Making, Financial Consulting, Hospitality & Tourism Professional Selling, and Professional Selling Events must qualify at the District Conference level in order to compete at the State Conference.
5. The following lists the number of entries allowed per chapter for each written event at the SCDC:
6. Chapters may enter one (1) team of three non-Seniors in the Leadership & Teamwork event (LTW).
7. Chapters may enter one (1) team of two Seniors in the Ethics Team Event (ETH).
8. Participants in the Stock Market Game, and the Virtual Business Challenge Events will not compete at the State Conference. ICDC Qualifiers in these events will proceed directly to the International Career Development Conference, through the process established by DECA Inc. These students will not attend the State Conference unless they are competing in another event.
9. Chapters participating in School Based Enterprise that receive the Gold Certification or Gold Re-Certification have the option to bring 1 to 3 student manager(s) to present their work at the State Conference, if they are not in an event that is competing Friday morning. This practice competition will follow the International Career Development Conference guidelines. The top five teams will receive recognition at the Saturday Session. Teams that receive the Gold Certification or Re-Certification do not have to attend the State Conference; they can advance directly to the International Career Development Conference.
10. Participants may only compete in one event, with the exception of Chapter Awards Program (CAP), Gold Merit Award Program (GMAP), and School Based Enterprise (SBE). Participants in CAP and GMAP may compete in another event that competes on Friday (roleplay events). Students in SBE may compete in another event that does not conflict with SBE’s competition time slot of Friday morning.