Ethics Team Event
This event involves analysis of a business case study using principles-based ethics. The principles can be applied in any business environment to guide a person’s or a business’s ethical decision-making.
- Each school is eligible to enter one (1) team in the Ethics Team Event at the State Conference. Team members are not allowed to compete in any other event, except the Merit Award Program.
- A team will consist of two members. Each member must be a Senior.
The top teams are eligible to attend the ASPIRE Academy at the International Conference.
- Each member will take the Business Management & Administration Cluster exam during the online testing window in February. The scores of the team members scores will be averaged together.
- A list of questions specific to the scenario is included in the participant’s instructions. These are distinct factors that must be in the written entry, oral presentations and follow-up responses to the judges.
- The maximum score for written entry and oral presentation evaluation is 100 points.
- If any of the above rules are violated, the Event Coordinator must be notified of such, by the judge(s).
- The presentations and report are weighted twice (2 times) the value of the averaged exam score.
- The decision of the judges is final. Students are not to ask judges for justification of their scores.
Business Case Analysis (written entry):
- Each team will analyze the posted case-study situation, and write a five page report, in which the team members identify the ethical issues involved, and explain how they will address the issues.
The written entry will be turned in during the event’s orientation at the conference. The written entry needs to be submitted in an official DECA folio [Shop DECA SKU: 4WEFOLI]. The team will be penalized 15 points if their written entry is not turned in during event orientation in a official DECA folio.
- A completed DECA Statement of Assurances and Academic Integrity form (page 57 of the National DECA Guide), certifying the originality of the work must be signed by the advisor and the students must be included. The DECA Statement of Assurances and Academic Integrity form must be the first page of the written entry. Only those students whose name appears on the DECA Statement of Assurances and Academic Integrity form and have been included on the chapter’s registration form will be allowed to compete in the event.
- The Ethics Team Event written project must be uploaded between March 1 and March 5, 2021.
- During competition, each team will give an eight minute presentation of its analysis and recommendations to the judges, followed by a two minute question and answer period.
- Each team member must participate in the oral presentations and respond to questions from the judges.
Only visual aids that can be easily carried to the presentation by the actual participants will be permitted, and the participants themselves must set up the visuals. No set-up time will be allowed. Participants must furnish their own materials. No electrical power or Internet connection will be supplied.Visual aids must be either a PDF or PowerPoint that can be shared through Doxy.
- Participants may use notecards during the presentation.
No materials may be handed to the judges.